frequently asked questions
How do I get started with my training?
Most of our students begin by taking the Air Brake course with us, then write the Air Brake knowledge and Learners exams with ICBC at the same time. To get started studying for both, you can pick up the free "Guide to Driving Commercial Vehicles" book from any Valley Driving School office or your local ICBC location. There are also on-line practice exams available HERE.
Our truck programs are continuous and ongoing so you’re able to jump in anytime as soon as you’re ready. Click here to view our Course Calendar.
How do I choose a driving school?
Choosing a driving school can be confusing, there are many schools and training programs to choose from. Any school must be licensed by ICBC and each Instructor must have a professional driver training Instructor licence along with completing the necessary criminal and medical checks.
But beyond those very minimum requirements, a driving school should be:
• Flexible to your needs. Multiple office locations can offer options for dates and times for classes that meet your scheduling needs. Instructor and lesson availability will allow you to choose appointments that work for your busy chedule.
• Teaching more than to pass the road test. Memorizing certain areas or routes may help you pass the road test but it will not make a safe, confident driver that can drive independently. Coaching students to think independently creates a safe and confident driver who, as a result of their strong driving skills, will pass the road test. By coaching on how to make safe decisions rather than just telling students what to do, it allows the student to develop the necessary critical thinking to make the correct decisions during their lifetime of driving. Once the driving Instructor or qualified supervisor is no longer in the vehicle, has the new driver developed the ability to make their own safe and confident decisions? If a student has always been told what to do when making a left turn, will they be able to confidently and safely make that left turn while no one is there to direct them?
• Offering a variety of Instructors. Are you able to request a certain Instructor or describe the type of Instructor you’d like to be matched with? If you want to change Instructors, is the school able to accommodate a change?
• Consistently upgrading the knowledge and skills of their Instructors. Continual training and upgrading ensure Instructors are always up to date with all driving rules & regulations and are providing accurate information to their students. Routine evaluations of an Instructor's teaching methods provides you with the confidence to know you are receiving highest quality training sessions.
• Recommendations from others. Ask friends and neighbours; have they or someone they know taken training, can they recommend a school? Why did they choose this school? What feedback or reviews have been posted online?
• Check details. A school’s cancellation policy/charges and privacy agreements should be available and will allow you to ensure your investment and information is safe.
• Offering progress reports. Does the Instructor summarize the training session and provide a report for you to review? Lessons should be in conjunction with practicing with a qualified supervisor. Completing a progress report will help the supervisor know the areas to review to ensure on-going driver development.
How many lessons should I take?
I am looking to drive a school or transit bus, do you offer Class 2 training?
Most buses have automatic transmissions and we offer Class 1 Automatic training as it will allow you to operate any class of vehicle, aside from a motorcycle, that is automatic. Having a Class 1 automatic license may open additional employment avenues as you will be qualified to drive trucks and buses.
I’m a company looking to train my employees, what can you offer for both licensed and unlicensed employees?
Can I practice my pre-trip on your trucks before my test?
We have group pre-trip courses available to you as part of your program and your Instructor will also cover pre-trip procedures during your training with us.
Our online training website is also a great resource when practicing your pre-trip for your road test.
I am only available on weekends, can I take lessons on Saturdays or Sundays?
Yes, we can arrange your lessons for Saturdays and Sundays. We would recommend being available 2-3 times a week in order to keep your training consistent and relevant prior to the road test.
Our Instructors are available daytime, evenings, and weekends to accommodate a variety of schedules.
Can you tell me if I’ll pass my Road Test?
Our Instructors would be happy to complete a lesson and advise you of your current strengths and skills as well as any habits that may require additional practice prior to testing.
If you have already previously taken a road test on your own, we would be happy to schedule the use of our vehicle for an ICBC Road Test at your earliest convenience. If you still have your original test papers, we would recommend scheduling time for you and our Instructor to go over the results.
Will I be able to find a job as a new truck driver?
Yes! We partner with company recruitment officers from major trucking companies to meet our graduates personally at exclusive Career Presentations held throughout our locations. Companies include Challenger Freight Services, Sysco, Gordon Food Service and Synergy Transport.
Do you offer financing on truck training?
Yes! INTEREST FREE payment plans are spread out over the term of your training.
If you wish, you may pre-pay for your package and should you decide that you will not require the entire package, we will only charge you for the training you received and we will refund the balance.
Students may receive funding through various sources such as WorkBC, Worksafe, RRSPs, & RESPs. If you are looking at another source for funding, you are more than welcome to attend any of our offices to receive a personalized Acceptance Letter and a packet of information.
If you are looking at another company for funding, you are more than welcome to attend any of our offices to receive a personalized Acceptance Letter and a packet of information.